How a Root Canal Can Help Your Smile
Do you need a root canal? Your teeth are meant to last a lifetime. Years ago, injured or diseased teeth were usually removed. But today, teeth can often be saved with root canal treatment. A root canal is a treatment to fix and save teeth that are badly damaged or infected. Led by Dr. Brandon Berguin, Dr. Kira Funderburk, and Dr. William Berguin, Western Slope Dental Center (located in Grand Junction, CO) offers root canal treatments to the patients they serve. Keep reading to find out how a root canal can help your smile.
1. It can stop the infection. The tooth is infected and dying; root canal treatment stops the infection. While teeth are hard on the outside, the inner pulp is made of soft tissue. This tissue sometimes becomes infected (through cracks in the tooth, deep decay, etc.), and starts to die. Once that happens, a root canal is needed right away — eliminate the pain, control the infection and keep it from spreading.
2. It can eliminate your pain. A toothache is a sign that you may need a root canal. Tooth pain is caused by the infection in the tooth. The pain can be mild or it may be severe. A root canal will relieve your discomfort and improve your well-being. The procedure does not cause pain; it relieves it. With modern technologies and anesthetics, root canal therapy is no more uncomfortable than having a dental filling placed.
3. It can save your smile. Tooth removal is not a good alternative to root canal treatment. Saving your tooth is the best option. The absence of teeth can ruin your smile, cause the surrounding teeth to shift out of place, and affect your ability to chew food. It can also cause speech problems, bone loss, and facial sagging. A root-canal-treated tooth can last for decades, if not a lifetime.
4. It can restore tooth function. A tooth that requires a root canal often is one that has extensive decay. Therefore, a dental crown needs to be placed on the tooth to protect it and restore it to full function. Dental crowns are known for their exceptional durability and great strength. A dental crown will strengthen your tooth and protect it from damage. It can also help you chew better and improve your clarity of speech.
5. It can prevent complications. Don't put off root canal treatment if you need it. Left untreated, bacteria from the infected pulp can travel through the roots of the tooth and into the tissue of the gums and jaw. That can cause a painful abscess to form, which will require urgent treatment.
Healthy smiles are the happiest smiles! Call Western Slope Dental Center at 970-241-3483 right now to schedule an appointment for root canal treatment in Grand Junction, CO. We want all our patients to have healthy, beautiful smiles. You will experience exemplary service and state-of-the-art care at Western Slope Dental Center!