Posts for: January, 2017
Dental implants are an exciting tooth replacement option that look and function like natural teeth. In Grand Junction, CO, dental implants are available at Western Slope Dental Center.
What are dental implants?
Dental implants are an alternative to dentures and other dental prostheses for replacing missing teeth. Once installed, dental implants become permanent fixtures in the mouth. They are composed of three parts: the implant, an abutment and a crown. The implant replaces the tooth root below the gum line and acts as an anchor for the crown, which replaces the natural tooth above the gum line. The abutment is a connecting piece that joins the implant and crown together. Neither the implant or the abutment are visible once installation is complete.
Are dental implants for everyone?
The American Academy of Periodontology recommends that adult dental implant patients be in good health overall, with a healthy mouth free of gum disease. Patients also need to have sufficient bone in the jaw area where the implant will be installed. The American Academy of Periodontology advises against installing dental implants in patients who have diabetes, heart problems or are chronic smokers.
What are the advantages of dental implants?
Dental implants offer several advantages over other teeth replacement options, such as dentures. Dental implants are durable and permanent. They cannot come loose or slip out of place and no messy adhesives are needed. Additionally, dental implants look and function like natural teeth. And patients who get them report experiencing a boost in self-esteem.
How long do dental implants last?
With proper care, dental implants can last a lifetime. You can keep your dental implants strong and healthy by maintaining good oral hygiene and visiting your dentist regularly. Professional cleanings and regular checkups with your Grand Junction dental implants dentist will extend the life of your implants.
What do I need to know about post dental implant care?
Once your dental implants have been installed, there are several important things you can do to properly care for them. Things you can do to care for your dental implants after installation include:
- Avoid touching the implant area for the rest of the day following installation.
- Minimize physical activities, including exercise, immediately following surgery.
- Following surgery, eat soft foods and drink lots of fluids, being careful to avoid hot liquids.
- Use a gauze pad to absorb any bleeding that occurs following surgery.
- Apply ice as needed to control swelling and pain.
- Take any prescription antibiotics or medications to prevent infection.
- Over-the-counter pain relievers can be taken to alleviate pain.
- Continue with your normal oral hygiene routine, but brush the implant area gently until it heals.
- If you have been given an oral rinse, such as Peridex, use it as directed.
- Avoid wearing any type of dental prosthesis, including dentures, for a minimum of ten days following surgery.
Contact Western Slope Dental Center for dental implants in Grand Junction, CO. To schedule an appointment, call their office at (970) 241-3483.